Citizenship by Conferral
Permanent Residents or New Zealand Citizens
· This information is for people 59 years old and under.
- You can include a dependent child (permanent resident) aged 15 years or younger in your application at no additional cost.
- If a responsible parent is not applying to become an Australian citizen, a child 15 years or younger can apply by their own and must pay the associated fee.
- You cannot include a dependent child aged 16 or 17 on your application. They must apply on their own by following the process outlined on this page. The child must be a permanent resident.
- When you apply, you must be either a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand Citizen.
- Residence Requirement: At the time you apply you must have been:
- living in Australia on a valid visa for the past 4 years
- a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen for the past 12 months
- away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months
For children 16 or 17 years old, if meeting this requirement would cause significant hardship or disadvantage, you will need to provide proof. Children under 16 do not need to meet the general residence requirement but must be permanent residents.
Permanent residence calculations:
Your residency starts on the date-
· granted the permanent visa when you were in Australia, or
· you first entered Australia on a permanent visa
You do not need to meet our residence requirement if you:
- are under 16 years
- were born to a former Australian citizen who lost their citizenship before 4 April 2002
- were born in Papua before 16 September 1975 and one of your parents was born in Australia and is an Australian citizen when you were born.
- Character requirement: You must be of good character if you are 18 years or over. When department assess good character, they consider whether you are likely to:
- uphold and obey the laws of Australia
- meet the other commitments made through the citizenship pledge
- Knowledge of Australia
You must understand what it means to be an Australian citizen. At the time you have an appointment, you must know about:
- Australia and its people
- Australia’s democratic beliefs, rights and liberties, and
- Government and the law in Australia
If you score 75% or more on citizenship test, then you meet knowledge requirement.
· Language requirement
· You need to have a basic knowledge of the English language to become an Australian citizen.
If you score 75% or more on citizenship test, then you meet the language requirement.
· Close and continuing link to Australia
You must intend to live in Australia or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia while overseas. You will be considered if you have:
· a child who is an Australian citizen
· a partner who is an Australian citizen and your time together
· extended family in Australia
· spent time in Australia
· a bank account in Australia
· a job in Australia
· paid income tax in Australia
· Property in Australia.
Cost is AUD285;
· No cost for a child 15 years or younger applying with a parent.
- Disapproval of Application:
- Citizenship application will be disapproved if
- Australian Government is not satisfied by your Identity.
- In case of Criminal Offences.
- If you pose a risk to National Security of Australia.
- If you ceased to be the Former citizen.
- if you are outside Australia at the time of decision of your application.
Book an Appointment: –
- We at BANSAL Immigration consultants offer the much needed help so as to convince the Australian Immigration authorities about your actual intention to stay and work in Australia.
- We do everything possible to present you as a true candidate and that you will adhere to all rules and commitments during your stay in Australia.
- Also, we will assure that your interview round goes well, which is yet another growing step to get this visa in Australia.
****How can we assist you? Please call our number mentioned on the website.