This skill assessment helps the engineers to have their educational qualifications and work assessed including for migration purposes.
You need to apply online for a Migration Skills Assessment, choosing the pathway relevant to your membership eligibility.
- having the Australian Accredited Qualifications, choose the Australian Qualifications pathway;
- having Accord Qualifications, choose the Accord pathway;
- Have been through a Stage 1 Assessment, choose the CDR pathway.
Relevant assessment fees will apply, if you require additional services (such as assessment of Skilled Employment and/or PhD comparability, etc)
Note: The Engineering Occupation and Category of the Migration Skills Assessment outcome may be different from the Stage 1 assessment outcome.
Before you apply
Following are the steps needed to assess your engineering qualification for the purposes of migration
- First step consists of to choose your assessment pathway.
- Then is required to login to myPortal to initiate lodging your application.
- All applicants applying are required to give proof of their English Language competency to have their skills evaluated by Engineers Australia.
English test results which should be provided as part of skills assessment
The three test results which are currently acceptable are IELTS, TOEFL iBT® and PTE ACADEMIC
Please note: TOEFL, PBT and Cambridge English test are currently not accepted.
Accepted scores for English competency test
The minimum required scores for each module are indicated below
|IELTS||TOEFL iBT®||PTE ACADEMIC™|
Engineers Australia on a case by case basis, accept multiple test results, provided that all the tests results are valid at the time of submission of the application, and the required score is reached for each module at least once.
Validity of English test result
On the day of receiving of application, your English test result needs to be no more than two years old.
Limited engineering experience
- If you have limited engineering experience you can still apply for an assessment of engineering qualification.
- Work Experience is not a necessary requirement.
Having different spelling of your names on different documents?
In case of such discrepancies you need to provide an official name change documents, which may include:
- Marriage Certificate,
- a Gazette Publication, and
- an Official Letter/Certificate issued by Registry.
Note: A Statutory Declaration or Affidavit will not be accepted as official name change document.
Generally, Engineers Australia will consider the name appearing on the passport as your official name.
Lodging your Application
Creating of an EA ID on your behalf by a migration agent
- You must provide an EA ID number, a CID number or a membership number to your agent.
- If you do not yet have a number, your agent will be able to create one for you.
If you already have a CID number or a membership number. Should you apply for a new EA ID number?
No, you should use your existing ID number with Engineers Australia and only apply for a password.
Adding additional services (e.g. Work Experience assessment or a PhD assessment) to an already initiated or lodged application
- Applicant, in such a case, need to cancel the un-submitted application by pressing cancel and start a new application
- You can select the type of service you require, at the beginning of any new application and can add the additional services to your new application at this point.
Note: Applicant cannot add additional services to a submitted application.
Adding documents to my application after having submitted and paid for it.
After the submission of application, you will not be able to add documents.
Cancelling my application and get a refund
- If the status of your application is “Awaiting Assessment” and that the application was submitted incorrectly, you may send an email to member services requesting to cancel your application.
- Note: your application processing time will reset when a new application is submitted.
Attaching certified copies to an online application
No, only high resolution colour scans of original documents are accepted for online applications.
Do I have to upload all my documents at once?
- It is strongly advised that you have all documents ready to go before initiating an application.
- You have up to 60 days to complete and submit an application.
- If not submitted within this time period, your application will be automatically cancelled and you would have to start a new application.
Documents for an online application
- Documents must be high resolution colour scans of original documents
- must have a resolution of at least 300 dpi.
- Certified or black and white documents are not accepted for online applications.
- Where documents are not in the English language, you must upload the original language documents as well as English language translations
During your Assessment
Outcome of online application.
- Your outcome letter will be sent to you via email.
- If having a nominated a migration agent acting on your behalf, your outcome letter will be sent via email to your agent instead.
Adding additional services (lodge a Secondary Application) to an already successful application
- Upon receiving a positive outcome, you will be able to apply or add additional services, e.g. Relevant Skilled Employment and/or Overseas PhD assessment by lodging a Secondary Application based on your previous outcome.
- This new Secondary Application will go straight to your case officer for assessment.
Not happy with the outcome of assessment?
- Need to apply for a review of your application.
- During a review, your application will be reviewed by an independent assessor and you will be notified about the result of your review through email.
- A review may take up to eight weeks.
- A review can only be requested within three months of receiving the original assessment outcome.
Not happy with the outcome of review?
- If you are still not happy with the results of your review, you can seek an Appeal.
- An application for an appeal may only be submitted after a Review outcome is received.
- During an Appeal, your application will be reviewed by an Independent Review Panel of Professional Engineers.
- You will be notified of the results of your appeal through email.
- An appeal may take approximately nine months at this stage.
- An appeal can only be requested within six months of receiving the original assessment outcome.
- Please note the outcome of the Appeal is FINAL in the review process.
****How can we assist you? Please call our number mentioned on the website.