The new Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 870)allows the parents or grandparents of an Australian PR or citizen an extended stay in Australia. They may live in Australia for up to 10 years on this Visa.

Australia started accepting sponsorship applications for this Visa from 17th April 2019. Visa applications for this Visa will be accepted from 1st July 2019.

What can you do on this Visa?

On this Visa, a parent or grandparent of an Australian citizen or PR:

  • Can visit Australia consecutively for up to 3 to 5 years
  • Can visit Australia for a cumulative period of 10 years maximum
  • They are not allowed to work in Australia

What is the cost of this Visa?

The cost of this Visa is:

  • $5,000 for a 3-year Visa
  • $10,000 for a 5-year Visa

The above fee has to be paid in 2 instalments.

Applicants also need to bear the costs of biometrics, health checks and police clearance certificates.

Is there an annual cap?

Yes, 15,000 Parent Visas may be issued each year from 1st July to 30th June.

Who can apply for this Visa?

To be eligible for this Visa, you must:

  • Be the biological, step-parent, adoptive parent, parent-in-law or grandparent of an Australian PR or citizen
  • Your child or grandchild in Australia must sponsor you
  • You should be over 18 years of age
  • You should meet the health and character requirement of Australia
  • This Visa does not require a Balance of Family test or an Assurance of Support

What are the requirements for a sponsor in Australia?

As a sponsor, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old or above
  • Be an Australian PR or citizen
  • Meet the character requirement
  • Have an annual income of at least $83,450. Your income could also be the combined income of your spouse or common-law partner.

What is the processing time of the Visa?

The Parent Visa is expected to be available after 3 months after applications start getting accepted on 1st July 2019.

Does the new Parent Visa provide access to Medicare?

No, Visa holders do not have access to Medicare. They will need to buy health insurance to cover the entire duration of their Visa, as per SBS News.

Can applicants who have submitted applications for a Permanent Parent Visa also apply for the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa?

Yes, parents who have applied for a Permanent Parent Visa can also apply for the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa. Applicants who have applied for either the non-contributory or contributory Permanent Parent Visa can apply for this Visa.

Looking for further assistance on skill select invitations works? Book a consultation today with our experts or drop your queries at Bansal Immigration Consultant.

Call Now Button