Student Subsequent Entrant Visa / Student Dependent Visa (Subclass 500)


Leaving family in your home country and pursuing studies in Australia can be a difficult task. You can always add your family members/dependents under your student visa after being granted within the visa tenure.

Student Subsequent entrant (Student Dependent Visa) Subclass 500 visa allows your dependants to accompany you in Australia while you pursue your studies.

Visa Eligibility Criteria:

  1. You must have a valid student visa
  2. You can only include your partner and children
    1. All family member details must be declared in the student visa* application or
    2. If the applicant became a member of the family unit of the primary person before the grant of the student visa to the primary person, then his/her information must be provided in the primary applicant’s student visa application.
    3. For children to be included in the application they must be unmarried and under 18 years old.
  3. Your dependents must hold and provide a valid Overseas student health cover (OSHC) for your entire visa tenure.
  4. You must meet the financial requirements. You must demonstrate the sufficient access of funds for one year including your family. Use of Student visa financial calculator.
  5. Your dependents must meet the Genuine temporary entrant criteria. Our qualified Team can assist you in writing the statement.
  6. Your dependents must undertake the visa medical examinations in the last 12 months prior to the lodgement of visa application.
  7. Your dependents must meet the character requirements

*If you failed to disclose your family member’s then department may refuse to grant them visas.

Student Subsequent Entrant visa processing time:

Once the application is submitted and all the documents are uploaded, it takes around 5-8 months to get the decision. (Time period may vary)

Student visa Application fee (in AUD):

Applicant can always include their family members who wishes to accompany them while they study in Australia.

Student Subsequent Entrant
application fee
Additional Applicant Charge 18+ 460.00
Additional Applicant Charge U18 150.00

*Additional cost includes overseas student health cover, biometrics and health checks. In some cases, you can be also asked to provide police checks to prove your character.

Visa Conditions

8201 – Maximum three months study

This condition means that you are only allowed to engage in up to but not exceeding three months of study or training while you are in Australia.

8104 – Work limitation

This condition means that you must not engage in work until the primary student visa holder has commenced a course of study. You are also not permitted to work for more than 40 hours a fortnight while you are in Australia. If the course of study the primary student visa holder undertakes is for a masters or doctoral degree, then you are permitted to work more than 40 hours per fortnight but only in these circumstances.

8501 – Maintain health insurance

This condition means that you must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance (generally Overseas Student Health Cover) while you are in Australia. You must not enter Australia before your Overseas Student Health Cover has begun. You are not permitted to remain in Australia after your Overseas Student Health Cover has expired. If you are a student from Norway, Belgium or Sweden you may not need to maintain Overseas Student Health Cover.

More information: 500/overseas-student-health-cover

8516 – Must maintain eligibility

This condition means that you must continue to maintain your eligibility as a person who would satisfy the criteria for the grant of your visa.

How can we help?

As Mentioned, we will be with you in every step of the process.

  1. BANSAL Immigration Consultants represent multiple OSHC providers like BUPA, Allianz, AHM, NIB and Medibank. We can arrange the health insurance for you at competitive price where you will get most coverage.
  2. BANSAL Immigration Consultants qualified team will help assist you in writing a statement meeting the Genuine temporary entrant criteria. We specialise in assisting our clients making sure that entire criteria is met.
  3. Meeting student visa financial requirements. Most student visa holders rely on bank loans to fund their studies. But, obtaining a loan could be tedious process. At Bansal immigration, we can simplify the process for you. With change in rules, now any one can fund your studies and the funds does not need to be 3 months old as well. Also, any of your family, relatives, or friends, can provide financial support.

Contact us Today!!!!